15 Questions to Ask Before Buying Your Wedding Dress
Everything you need to know before buying The Dress!
1) When can I book an appointment to try on dresses? How long will the appointment be?
You should remember that weekend appointments will be booked up ahead of time, so prepare to compromise. Similarly, you want to have enough time dedicated to you and to picking out the perfect dress!
2) How many people can I bring to the appointment?
Make sure that you are allowed to bring your most trusted advisers to help you choose! Although, we strongly advise you not to bring more than a few people, so maybe just your Mum and MOH, purely because too many opinions can get a bit confusing!
3) What dresses do you think will best suit my shape?
While it is completely up to you which wedding dress you choose, it is always useful to have some advice and guidance to help get you started.
4) How customisable are your dresses?
This is just in case you want the dress in ivory as opposed to white, or if you want a laced back instead of a zip.
5) What is the lead-time?
The lead time is the time between placing an order, to the finished product and delivery. You want to leave yourself a minimum of six months for a bespoke gown!
6) How many fittings will I have and when will they be?
As mentioned previously, weekend appointments will get booked in advance, so you want to plan ahead and leave enough time for any necessary alterations.
7) What do I need to bring to my fittings?
Ideally, you should bring the undergarments that you will wear under the dress (the boutique consultants can often advise you on what will work best), as well as your shoes and any other wedding accessories.
8) Do you do alterations? How much will they cost?
While most boutiques offer alteration services, some might not and you would need to take your dress to a seamstress. Should that be the case, you want to factor in the extra time into your schedule.
9) What if my weight changes? How much would last-minute tweaks cost?
Many brides will either plan to lose weight, or will lose some unintentionally due to nerves. Should this happen, you want to make sure that your dress can be taken in at the last minute for the perfect fit!
10) Can I have undergarments sewn into my dress or will I need to purchase them separately?
This is especially useful if your gown is strapless. Sewing in a bra or adding a corset will make it feel more secure and you won’t worry about pulling it up throughout your reception!
11) How much is the deposit and when do I need to pay the full price?
You should expect to pay 50% of the overall price for your deposit and the rest in instalments, so make sure you know the scheduled payment dates!
12) What accessories would look good with the dress?
Whether you want to keep it classic with some pearls, or if you want to add a statement belt, getting professional advice will help point you in the right direction.
13) Will the dress be steamed when I pick it up/when it is being delivered?
If you will need to steam the dress yourself, make sure to get exact instructions from your dress-maker, as most dresses are not compatible with an iron!
14) Can you show me how to put on my gown? Can I film the process?
Remember, on your wedding day your wedding team and mum will be in charge of lacing you in, and it can become a complicated process, especially when nerves are involved! Make the task as easy for them as possible by preparing ahead of time.
15) What is the best way for me to store and transport my gown?
Wedding dresses are normally quite big and difficult to manoeuvre. Whoever you are purchasing your dress from will know how it best travels and where to keep it, so remember to ask them!
Browse other similar articles: