Your bridal party consists of your best pals, who have supported you throughout the planning process, sat up into the early hours with you making favours and sipping on bubbly, and who will be wearing the second most gorgeous dresses on your wedding day. As you get round to the exciting task of choosing their bridesmaid’s dresses, bear in mind that cost is going to be crucial. If you’re paying, remember to add in your ideal budget into our fabulous budget planning tool. If your bridesmaids are paying for their own, get together and talk openly and honestly about prices beforehand. Either way, we want to make sure your gals look flawless and don’t max out any credit cards with our nifty tips:
1. Try second hand! Many bridesmaids sell their dresses straight after a wedding, so there are beautiful, barely worn dresses out there. Similarly, tell your bridesmaids to sell theirs after (obviously not before!) the big day and they can make some cash back. Ebay is awesome for this.
2. Consider renting the bridesmaids dresses. Luckily, this US trend has come to the UK and the most amazing dresses, including Badgley Mischka and McQueen, are now available to bridesmaids at much lower prices.
3. Try online stores. Often the bridesmaids dresses that you are looking for will be available at a cheaper price somewhere else, or some websites will offer discount coupons. Just beware that you’ll need to be sure they’ll fit, and fit well – otherwise you might just spend the same amount on alterations as you would have done instore.
4. Shop end of season sales and outlets. You will be amazed how many gorgeous dresses you will be able to find at almost unbelievable prices!
5. Think about going for a non-obvious dress style for your bridesmaids. For example, vintage-style tea dresses can be quite cheap to pick up, so your maids in a selection from the same era will look cohesive and unique but not cost the earth. Alternatively, midi dresses are everywhere – capitalise on this by getting some formal-looking dresses for an informal price.
6. Trust your bridesmaids and give them a few guidelines, like length and colour, and let them pick out their own dresses – that way, they’re likely to be willing to spend more as they can pick something they know they’ll wear again. Just check you’re happy with them before the big day!
7. Keep the price of accessories down! Your bridesmaids don’t all need matching clutches and shoes, just ask them to stick to a colour scheme and style and let them buy their own.
8. Think ahead of the curve. Bridal jumpsuits are all the rage, but bridesmaid’s jumpsuits aren’t quite at the same hype just yet. This means they won’t have inflated price tags next to them! Your bridesmaids would look incredibly chic in high street jumpsuits, and would have money left over.
Still looking for your Bridesmaid Dresses? Check out our handy comparison list, where you can go through our favourite brands and their unique attributes!