What is your most memorable wedding?
Rowton Castle in Shrewsbury, a spectacular venue and wonderful couple, whose only requirement was that we 'did our thing'. It is great to be unrestricted, to work our magic and give the couple the best keepsake possible - photographs to treasure that will last a lifetime and beyond.
Describe your style in 5 adjectives.
Elegance, creativity, excellence, artistic and stunning.
What about your business are you most proud of?
The super feedback we get from couples who love our work. The opportunity to make connections and to touch someones life through our photography. The proudest moments are when our couples view their images for the first time and their faces light up, and then when they view their images in glorious bespoke wedding books to treasure. We love what we do and our passion shines through. We really enjoy meeting new people and working with them to get the best photographic results possible for a given situation. Having that positive bond with our clients and seeing their faces light up when they see their photos and albums makes it so rewarding.
What is your No. 1 wedding planning tip for couples?
Book your venue first, then your photographer(s) as soon as possible. Love their style of photography first, visit for a consultation and make sure you "click" (excuse the pun).
What is your favourite personal touch you have seen at a wedding?
Comical: Rubber duckies for every guest, themed to their personality, hobby, work or interests. We even received one each!
Heart warming: Every guest had a childhood photograph of themselves at their wedding breakfast place.
Describe your typical process with a couple.
1. Initial contact from couple, generally via email.
2. Additional information provided to enquirer.
3. Complimentary consultation to view our portfolio and discuss requirements.
3. Covering letter, wedding agreement and initial deposit request sent to couple.
4. Upon receipt of signed wedding agreement by Matthew Paul Photography, the wedding date is reserved with the specified coverage.
5. Bride and groom provide schedule for day and group photography requests.
6. Second deposit paid a month prior to wedding day. Final payment one week prior.
6. The big day arrives and the story is captured naturally as it unfolds, with the addition of a selection of fine art photos with the couple.
7. Normally 4 to 5 weeks post-processing enhancements, following 100+ stages of workflow.
8. All images are hand-edited and provided as complimentary with wedding book collections.
9. Wedding book designed in-house, offering a unique and personalised design service.
10. Wedding book and images viewed by couple. Final decisions made regarding wedding book preferences.
11. Upon receipt of final payment, album order submitted to Graphistudio for printing and hand-binding in Italy.
12. Couple invited back for the final unveiling of their stunning wedding book(s).
What is the No. 1 photo that you think every couple should take?
Every wedding is unique and should be treated as such. The #1 photo might be a moment in time, a laugh, a cry or those personalised details and finishing touches. It is important to be flexible and listen to the couple. They may have a #1 shot in mind and if so, this would be the one to aim for. Personally, we like the romantic, but relaxed couple shots and those that make the most of each venue.
What is the most original photo you’ve been asked to take at a wedding?
An impromptu shot of the wedding couple in the foreground, with an LED-lit biplane launching fireworks from its wings and rear, whilst doing air acrobatics! We kid you not!
What do you recommend for a rainy day wedding?
Waterproof make-up and smiles! On a more serious note, we have a selection of umbrellas to help keep couples and their immediate bridal party dry. Alternatively, a warm, cosy and sheltered reception may be welcomed by the couple.
Describe how you got into photography.
I have always had a passion for photography and Louise, a passion for art. We've followed our dreams by becoming professional wedding photographers. It is more than simply a profession, it is truly exhilarating.