What is your most memorable wedding?
I was asked to photograph a racing-pigeon release, in memory of the groom's father who had sadly passed away (he used to race pigeons). We only had three birds available on the day, and so much of it was unpredictable, but it was such an amazing experience. The couple and their two young children really enjoyed it - it was fun and a beautiful way of remembering a special person who was no longer with them.
Describe your style in 5 adjectives.
Unobtrusive, Relaxed, Fun, Organised and Thorough
What about your business are you most proud of?
Establishing my small business and making it viable! Small businesses are only sustainable if you provide a quality product, a good experience, and have happy customers.
What is your No. 1 wedding planning tip for couples?
Listen patiently to all the advice everyone gives you. Then promptly forget it all. Plan your wedding for YOU, and include things that make the two of you happy (whether that's having a tiny, intimate wedding with just 10 guests, a helicopter to take you to your venue, or having a Wedding Jelly in place of a Wedding Cake!).
What is your favourite personal touch you have seen at a wedding?
I photographed a Christmas wedding, and the bride's mum had hand made little festive stockings filled with goodies for each of the guests. They were so beautiful and thoughtful - everyone absolutely loved them!
Describe your typical process with a couple.
1. Meet for an informal chat...usually at a nice cafe, although at the moment it's all on Zoom or FaceTime!...to talk about wedding plans, what photography is needed and to see how I can help the couple capture their day
2. Boring stuff - signing contract, settling the deposit
3. Engagement photoshoot (optional, but a lot of fun - I don't have you standing around in awkward poses)
4. Pre-wedding meet-up (usually a month before the wedding, preferably at your wedding venue) to chat through final plans
5. Your wedding day!
6. Your photos available to download via private online gallery
7. You receive your photos on USB stick, and your 10"x8" print
8. You receive your draft photo album (electronically) if you've ordered one, let me know any changes you want to make, then give me the go-ahead to send it to the printers
9. You receive your photo album and any additional wall art
10. You enjoy the excitement and challenges of married life, with a beautiful set of images to transport you back to your special day
What is the No. 1 photo that you think every couple should take?
One that is special and personal to the couple. Sometimes just taking 10 minutes out of the busy wedding schedule to go for a walk with me and take some natural photos of you escaping from the Wedding Craziness is all it takes :)
What is the most original photo you’ve been asked to take at a wedding?
That'll be the racing pigeons again!
What do you recommend for a rainy day wedding?
Umbrellas. It's also a good idea to have a back-up plan with some shelter if you're arranging an open-air wedding.
(Also: just enjoy it! Rain can make for some pretty epic wedding photos, and there's no point getting down about something you can control!).
I always keep an eye on the weather forecast, and if rain seems likely I'll bring a few umbrellas for the couple/wedding party. I'd also recommend the couple ask guests to bring their own umbrellas too.
Describe how you got into photography.
I got my first SLR camera at the age of 6, and used to frustrate my parents by taking so many rolls of film!! I've now progressed on to a Pro digital camera, and am in my element.