What is your most memorable wedding?
I was asked to photograph a racing-pigeon release, in memory of the groom's father who had sadly passed away (he used to race pigeons). We only had three birds available on the day, and so much of it was unpredictable, but it was such an amazing experience. The couple and their two young children really enjoyed it - it was fun and a beautiful way of remembering a special person who was no longer with them.
Describe your style in 5 adjectives.
Unobtrusive, Relaxed, Fun, Organised and Thorough
What about your business are you most proud of?
Establishing my small business and making it viable! Small businesses are only sustainable if you provide a quality product, a good experience, and have happy customers.
What is your No. 1 wedding planning tip for couples?
Listen patiently to all the advice everyone gives you. Then promptly forget it all. Plan your wedding for YOU, and include things that make the two of you happy (whether that's having a tiny, intimate wedding with just 10 guests, a helicopter to take you to your venue, or having a Wedding Jelly in place of a Wedding Cake!).
What is your favourite personal touch you have seen at a wedding?
Definitely the racing pigeons (see answer above)
Describe your typical process with a couple.
1. Meet for an informal chat...usually at a nice cafe...to talk about wedding plans, what photography is needed and to see how I can help the couple capture their day
2. Boring stuff - signing contract, settling the deposit
3. Engagement photoshoot (included in some packages)
4. Pre-wedding meet-up (usually a month before the wedding, preferably at your wedding venue) to chat through final plans
5. Your wedding day!
6. Your photos available to download via private online gallery
7. You receive your photos on USB stick, and your 10"x8" print
8. You receive your draft photo album (electronically), let me know any changes you want to make, then give me the go-ahead to send it to the printers
9. You receive your photo album
10. You write me an amazing review and tell all your friends what a fab photographer you had for your wedding!
What is the No. 1 photo that you think every couple should take?
One that is special and personal to the couple. Sometimes just taking 10 minutes out of the busy wedding schedule to go for a walk with me and take some natural photos of you escaping from the Wedding Craziness is all it takes :)
What is the most original photo you’ve been asked to take at a wedding?
That'll be the racing pigeons again!
What do you recommend for a rainy day wedding?
(Also: just enjoy it! Rain can make for some pretty epic wedding photos, and there's no point getting down about something you can control!).
I always keep an eye on the weather forecast, and if rain seems likely I'll bring a few umbrellas for the couple/wedding party. I'd also recommend the couple ask guests to bring their own umbrellas too.
Describe how you got into photography.
I got my first SLR camera at the age of 6, and used to frustrate my parents by taking so many rolls of film!! (With my DSLR and endless opportunities that digital photography provides, I'm now in my element)
Although I continued to take loads of photos as I grew up, I lost my way and became an engineer for nearly a decade. That mistake has happily now been rectified!