Eartham House is situated to the southern end of the hamlet of Eartham. The first reference to the establishment of a residence at Eartham was in 1743 when Thomas Hayley purchased a small estate from the heirs of Sir Robert Fag in order to build a house for his summer retirement. After his death in 1775, the house was occupied by his son William Hayley who was a poet. The House, which has been the home of Great Ballard School for the last forty years, is a magnificent country house set in 30 acres of glorious countryside. There are extensive views to the south coast and Chichester. The house still has many Regency features, but was extensively enlarged and remodeled by the famous architect, Sir Edwin Lutyens, at the beginning of the twentieth century. Up to 140 guests can be seated in the house for dining in the elegant rooms. One of the rooms accommodates a dance floor. Canapes can be served in the adjoining conservatory. This venue offers a special day set against a romantic Regency backdrop.