The Florence Institute was built as a memorial to the daughter of Sir Bernard Hall, a successful businessman and former Mayor of Liverpool in 1889. His youngest child, Florence, died after catching cholera at the age of 22. Wanting to commemorate her memory, Bernard financed the building of an Institute in Mill Street, Dingle.
The Florrie, as it is affectionately known by locals, officially opened as a boys club and served the young working and unemployed youth of the area. Over the years it has provided a range of leisure, recreation and educational services to the local community before finally closing its doors in the late 1980s.
The Florence Institute Charitable Trust Ltd was established in 2005. The trust is a voluntary and community led organisation whose dedication and hard work has achieved funding for the restoration of this historic building. Building work is due for completion by the end of February 2012.
The Florrie was once the heart of the community and through the work of The Florence Institute Trust it will once again provide a fully accessible and sustainable hub of activities which will benefit the community.